Wednesday, January 22, 2014

My visit to Venezia

I LOVE VENICE.

It is the most beautiful place I have ever been. I am going to go back there in the future, hopefully with a lover. So we can run around at night and get lost in the alleys maybe find ourselves on the Rialto. I need to be kissed in Venice, seriously. Haha. People told me that the city was built on water but I didn't really understand what that meant until I got there. There are NO cars, just tiny uneven streets for walking. If you need to go somewhere far, there are boat taxis or boat buses, but we mostly walked.

Audrey and I traveled on train from Rome to Venice and the view when we stepped outside of the train station was like one out of a movie. It was pouring rain, people were walking in every direction, taxis and buses were cruising through the canal, it was unbelievable.

Our hotel, the Palazzo Paruta is the most beautiful hotel I have ever stayed in.  I want to live there. We felt like princesses, everything was designed perfectly from the glass chandeliers to the fabric on the walls, I was dying! When we got in, we attended tea time, tea time! I had a meltdown because it was surreal and I was wearing sweats to the fanciest party I've ever attended.  (Well maybe not the fanciest but the juxtaposition of my sweats and the fancy serving platter made me feel much more far removed from the reality.) We were served little cakes, cookies, sandwiches, and of course tea.

What made our hotel even more amazing was the breakfast, the chef made us omelets and crepes in the morning.  The spread included cakes, cookies, fruits, buns, pastries, tarts, cereal, cheese, sliced hams, prosciutto.  (Our chef made all the tarts, buns, pastries, etc.) I usually don't eat breakfast but I ate SO much at the Palazzo Paruta.  I definitely took advantage of the included breakfast.  I am getting so hungry thinking about it.  

We visited St. Mark's Basilica on our first day, and walked around to a bunch of places.  I forget what else we did our first day, what I do remember is falling asleep VERY early and not going anywhere at night.  Our sleeping clock was out of whack, we slept for about 4 hours every night and tried our best not to take naps but once Audrey lays down, she's asleep.  It was very funny, she fell asleep mid sentence once, I looked over and she was out.

Our second day was much more eventful with visits to Murano and Burano (that post will come soon). On our way back, we wandered all around Venice, found a grocery store, Audrey bought a nice wool jacket, and we ended up at the Rialto bridge.

If the slideshow isn't working, click here


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis