Friday, September 18, 2015

Santa Cruzin

Growing up in the bay area I rarely made it down to Santa Cruz, CA but I am so glad I got the chance! I love exploring new places and having yoga be the reason I get there in the first place has been a blessing!  About a year ago I took Kofi Busia's workshop in LA, from that day I knew I had to study with him again! And so, he had his Autumn Equinox Intensive and I signed myself up!  Good luck for me that I'm on hiatus now and timing worked out perfectly.
A few things I noticed while exploring:
-Lots of beards and backpacks
-I've never seen so many people with dreads (and none of the people were black!)
-People are friendly -I had a lot of people greet me with smiles and even say very nice things to me as I walked around.
-There are a lot of pups around (Max couldn't make it out this time.)


In my exploring I visited the Santa Cruz Museum of Art & History.  I saw jewelry made out of things found on the beach, one necklace was made out of tampon applicators. I don't know how I feel about that one (you can see in the slideshow). The 2nd exhibit, Uncommon Threads was pretty cool too, being I have an affinity for clothes and all.  The 3rd exhibit, showcased the history of how surfing started on the west coast; it was introduced by 3 Hawaiin princes, and it all began in Santa Cruz. They made their boards out of the redwoods that were (and still are) growing all over the area. I had a great time at the museum, if you can make it out there it's definitely worth it.  Shout out to Scarlett who let me charge my phone at the front desk. =)

Now the yoga...Studying with Kofi. Oh man. What a special way to study.  Self study. Yoga study.  He's a special kind of person and certainly a special kind of teacher. I'm so grateful to have spent the time with him.  As I deepen my practice I find that what I'm learning, reaffirms my path and in that, my path of yoga. There comes a clarity in understanding and in being. I guess I've been practicing yoga I just didn't know it was yoga. Mr. Kofi teaches beyond the mat, it's life lessons really, it's real yoga!  He's so dope and has one of the coolest looks with his pullover sweaters, sweat slacks and the most killah mustache. Here's one of my favorite Kofi videos.  I watch this whenever I feel a little self doubt and it reminds me of what I'm doing here.



Thank you to Santa Cruz for a lovely visit. Until next time, namaste y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis