Friday, January 10, 2014

Existensial Bummer-Jason Silva

A friend sent me this a while back and I was deeply moved. Obviously it made me cry, as I am sensitive to dealings of the heart but especially presently. Lawd help me.

Silva talks about transience, that there is sadness, even in the most beautiful experiences, in knowing that everything eventually leaves us.

We battle ourselves: Do we love harder or let go? Do we do things we love, share times with the people who we love even though we know that we will not be able to do them or be with them forever?

There is such sadness when we think that everything will come to an end.  Sometimes people choose to leave us and sometimes people pass away, either way, all of our relationships will end.  But knowing this, do we hold on tighter or do we distance ourselves and pretend not to care so we don't feel as much pain when the time comes?  I know that nothing lasts forever but at least the present moment is one to be enjoyed and fulfilling.

I know that Max, my pup, will not be with me forever.  I knew when I adopted him that he will only live 10-15 more years but at least until then, we can enjoy each others' company.  I hope he enjoys my company as much as I enjoy his (I think so). So what shall I do?  I think I'm going to hold on tighter, love harder, and defy the idea of transience because what is life if we are afraid to commit to the things that light up our hearts? Even when it ends, at least I lived fully with all my heart, instead of letting fear take away my happiness. Like Silva says, "...at least I'm going to try."  I'm going to try really freaking hard. 




This one is for you Max Millions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis